Content theft has been a real pain in the butt for webmasters/bloggers for as long as the web has existed. There is no full proof way to stop content theft and it can even become detrimental for the original source when it get outranked or filtered from google for its own contents. So what you can do to prevent content theft. You can make it increasingly difficult/annoying to copy contents and at the same time leverage it. More difficult stealing contents becomes, the less likely it will be targeted by scrapers. Here is how:
1. Truncate your RSS feed. Don’t provide full contents in your feeds. This is because scrappers are generally lazy and they need tons of contents as quickly as possible. Copying contents from RSS feeds is much easier than manually checking each and every website for full contents.
2. Leave digital finger prints on your RSS feeds like copyright notice or link back to your site at the end of each post/article in your RSS feed. You can use the wordpress RSS footer plugin to automatically add digital finger prints to your RSS feeds. Here is how this digital finger print might look on your RSS feed.
The digital finger print contains a link back to my post and site, as well as copyright information.
There are two advantages of this digital finger print. One you can easily detect content theft (like by setting Google alerts for @2010-2020 optimizesmart.com). Second advantage is that you may get a link back to your site when the content is scraped esp. by a scraping software.
3. Use>embed anything technology on your web pages that forces scrapers to copy contents with a link back to your site. So whenever a scraper try to copy text from your web page (which has more than 10 words), an embed article widget window will pop up that will force him to copy contents with a link back to your site.
A scraper can off course remove the links from the copied contents later. But now copying contents from your web pages (without link attribution) is a hard work. You can see this technology in action on my site SEO Takeaways. Try to copy a text on my blog. You will see the ’embed article’ box as in the image above. To use this technology all you need to do is create a free account on embedanything.com and then copy past their java script into all of your web pages. I also use the free script provided by Tynt. So even if the scraper ignored my ’embed article’ box, he will still get a link back to my site on scraped contents. So i recommend using both embedanything and Tynt technologies. Here is how the copied content from my blog may look on a scraper site:
The scraped content contains a link back to my post and blog
4. Disable right mouse click on your images. This will make stealing your images difficult. There are many scripts available out there, like this one to disable right mouse click on an image. There is also a wordpress plugin for this.
5. Provide an alternative to stealing images. If you want to do link building through images on your site, then you can make some of your images available for free use but with link attribution. To enforce link attribution, copy paste the embed image script from embedanything.com into all of your web pages. Whenever a scraper will mouse over your image, he will see an ’embed image’ box that will encourage him to embed the image instead of stealing it. You can again see this technology in action on my blog.
Mouse over this image to see the Embed Button
Here you are offering the scraper to embed your image on his site instead of stealing it. Since grabbing the code and copying and pasting it easier than saving the image and loading it on the server, the scraper may use this code. There is also a WordPress plugin for this.
6. Take advantage of Hot Linking. Allow hot linking of the images for which you want to get back links. If bandwidth is not an issue, this can be a very good way to rank your images. This old post from search engine journal can guide you in leveraging hot linking. The lazy scrapers may pick up your code for hot linking your images. Check the blog post: image optimization tips that will help you tons for more image link building tips.
7. Take advantage of contextual links. Add at least one link (back to your website) within the contents. More the better. So in case your whole article got scraped, your contextual links will also get scrapped along with the article and you will get attribution in the form of links. Use this tactic esp. on the contents you provide through RSS feed or for syndication through creative common license.
8. Cloak your RSS feeds. It means provide different RSS feeds to known scrapers. Check your server logs to find the IP address of the person/site who scraps your RSS feed/contents all the time and then serve him different version of the RSS feed. You can find more about this method here.
9. Induce fear in scrapers by adding strong copyright notices at the end of each post. For e..g.
“This post is copyright protected. We are very protective of our contents. We use copyscape and other technologies to detect illegal copies of our contents on the internet and make sure that the scrapers are prosecuted to maximum extent under the copyright laws. If you wish to syndicate our contents, please give due attribution in the form of a do follow back link to our site.”
Note: You can get plagiarism warning banners from here and buttons and badges from here.
So they are teaching GA and GTM in the name of teaching Digital analytics.
They just copy each other. Monkey see, monkey do.
But Digital analytics is not about GA, GTM.
It is about analyzing and interpreting data, setting up goals, strategies and KPIs.
It’s about creating strategic roadmap for your business.
Digital Analytics is the core skill. Google Analytics is just a tool used to implement ‘Digital Analytics’.
You can also implement ‘Digital analytics’ via other tools like ‘adobe analytics’, ‘kissmetrics’ etc.
Using Google Analytics without the good understanding of ‘Digital analytics’ is like driving around in a car, in a big city without understanding the traffic rules and road signs.
You are either likely to end up somewhere other than your destination or you get involved in an accident.
You learn data analysis and interpretation from Digital analytics and not from Google Analytics.
The direction in which your analysis will move, will determine the direction in which your marketing campaigns and eventually your company will move to get the highest possible return on investment.
You get that direction from ‘Digital analytics’ and not from ‘Google Analytics’.
You learn to set up KPIs, strategies and measurement framework for your business from ‘Digital analytics’ and not from ‘Google Analytics’.
So if you are taking a course only on 'Google Analytics’, you are learning to use one of the tools of ‘Digital analytics’. You are not learning the ‘Digital analytics’ itself.
Since any person can learn to use Google Analytics in couple of weeks, you do no get any competitive advantage in the marketplace just by knowing GA.
You need to know lot more than GA in order to work in digital analytics and marketing field.
So what I have done, if you are interested, is I have put together a completely free training that will teach you exactly how I have been able to leverage digital analytics to generate floods of news sales and customers and how you can literally copy what I have done to get similar results.
Here what You'll Learn On This FREE Web Class!
1) The number 1 reason why most marketers and business owners are not able to scale their advertising and maximise sales.
2) Why you won’t get any competitive advantage in the marketplace just by knowing Google Analytics.
3) The number 1 reason why conversion optimization is not working for your business.
4) How to advertise on any marketing platform for FREE with an unlimited budget.
5) How to learn and master digital analytics in record time.
My best selling books on Digital Analytics and Conversion Optimization
Master the Essentials of Email Marketing Analytics
This book focuses solely on the ‘analytics’ that power your email marketing optimization program and will help you dramatically reduce your cost per acquisition and increase marketing ROI by tracking the performance of the various KPIs and metrics used for email marketing.
Attribution Modelling in Google Analytics and Beyond
Attribution modelling is the process of determining the most effective marketing channels for investment. This book has been written to help you implement attribution modelling. It will teach you how to leverage the knowledge of attribution modelling in order to allocate marketing budget and understand buying behaviour.
Attribution Modelling in Google Ads and Facebook
This book has been written to help you implement attribution modelling in Google Ads (Google AdWords) and Facebook. It will teach you, how to leverage the knowledge of attribution modelling in order to understand the customer purchasing journey and determine the most effective marketing channels for investment.
Digital Marketing Consultant and Founder of Optimizesmart.com
Himanshu helps business owners and marketing professionals in generating more sales and ROI by fixing their website tracking issues, helping them understand their true customers purchase journey and helping them determine the most effective marketing channels for investment.
He has over 12 years experience in digital analytics and digital marketing.
He was nominated for the Digital Analytics Association's Awards for Excellence.
The Digital Analytics Association is a world renowned not-for-profit association which helps organisations overcome the challenges of data acquisition and application.
He is the author of four best-selling books on analytics and conversion optimization: